Cornea And Refractive Surgery
- Anterior segment OCT
- Pentacam – Pentacam is the ultimate diagnostic tool for laser vision correction surgeons. It utilizes a sophisticated Scheipmflug camera system that scans the anterior eye (cornea, anterior chamber, iris, and lens) and a 3D model of the eye is constructed. The data collected allows us to view the eye from 25 different angles with a three-dimensional analysis of all the structures mentioned above. Most importantly for potential laser vision correction patients, it allows us to have a precise elevation map of the back surface of the cornea unparalleled by any previous technology. This information helps us to make sure the recommendations we make for laser vision correction will be as safe as possible.
A normal person or an emmetrope sees well because rays from the outside world fall exactly on the light-sensitive retina, allowing them to see sharp and clear images. In people with Refractive Error (or poor vision, such as nearsightedness or farsightedness), the light rays do not get focused on to the retina, due to which, blurred images are formed.
Common refractive errors such as myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism can be corrected by spectacles or contact lenses. However, those who want a life free from the limitations of spectacles and the hassles of contact lens handling, Refractive Surgery offers a permanent solution.
At Dr Kothari’s Eye Hospital, our doctors have more than 35 years of experience in helping patients get rid of their glasses.We offer a wide range of refractive solutions to cater to every individual’s need:
- Traditional Microkeratome - Assisted LASIK
- Custom LASIK or Wavefront Guided LASIK - tailor-made to correct the individual aberrations of each eye.
- Surface Ablation or Epi-LASIK - an option for cases with thin corneas. Especially patients who are not suitable for conventional LASIK.
- Phakic intraocular lenses - for patients with very high powers and those who are not fit for LASIK.
A pterygium Is a fleshy growth which grows from the white of the eye (conjunctiva) and starts encroaching onto the cornea, These are commonly seen in tropical countries with increased sun exposure, such as India. At Dr Kothari’s Eye Hospital, we perform pterygium removal surgeries and overlay the bare sclera with a graft to prevent recurrences. These grafts are held in place with a biological glue or with absorbable sutures.
Dr. Kothari’s Eye Hospital also offers Collagen Cross-linking with Riboflavin (commonly known as C3R). It is a treatment modality which stops progressive weakening of the cornea which occurs in this particular disorder. During the treatment, custom-made Riboflavin eye drops are applied to the cornea, which is then activated by Ultraviolet A Light (370nm). This process has shown to increase the amount of collagen cross-linking in the cornea as well as strengthen the cornea .
Dr Kothari’s Eye Hospital also provides the facility for a corneal transplant which is the treatment for various corneal diseases and disorders and under this, we perform Penetrating Keratoplasty, DSAEK and DALK.